Please book a free place on Eventbrite to help us cater for numbers and to ensure that you receive any important updates.
Book here: https://sufllobby16.eventbrite.co.uk
The rally is in the Aldersgate Room, Central Hall Westminster, from 10am, for registration and refreshments.
Central Hall Westminster
10am Registration, with tea, coffee and biscuits provided and the chance to network.
11am The rally with speeches, music, videos and information on how to lobby your MP.
The full line up of speakers is:
• Eve Ainsworth (Seven Days, The Blog of Maisy Malone) – just launching her latest novel Crush with Scholastic (‘Love hurts… but should it hurt this much?’).
• Philip Ardagh, multiple award-winning comic writer and dramatist (the Grubtown Tales, Eddie Dickens & The Grunts series) – Guardian book reviewer and the loudest beard in literature.
• Jake Arnott (The Long Firm, He Kills Coppers, truecrime, Johnny Come Home, The Devil’s Paintbrush, The House of Rumour) – the first two made into successful TV serials.
• Cathy Cassidy, million selling Queen of Teen award winner (the Chocolate Box Girls series, Looking-Glass Girl) – breaking off from a schools and libraries tour to promote her new paperbacks (Penguin Random House).
• John Dougherty, irrepressible children’s writer (the Stinkbomb & Ketchup-Face series) – singing by special request his classic lament ‘What’s Wrong with [libraries minister] Ed Vaizey?’
• Dawn Finch, librarian, literacy consultant and best-selling author (Skara Brae, Brotherhood of Shades, The Book of Worth) – speaking here as President of CILIP (Chartered Institute of Library & Information Professionals)
• Alan Gibbons, million-selling, multiple award-winning children’s writer (Shadow of the Minotaur, End Game, Hate) – tireless campaigner and international speaker.
• Laura Swaffield and Elizabeth Ash, The Library Campaign.
• Heather Wakefield, head of local government, UNISON.
• Alan Wylie, Voices for the Library.
1pm onwards Delegates will make their way from Central Hall Westminster to the House of Commons to meet with their MPs.
Details of how to lobby your MP will be recapped on the day but do write to your MP to try to arrange a meeting with them and please check the security requirements also. Full details of how to lobby your MP, including a link to security requirements and a sample letter, can be found here.
Please note: There will be no march as part of the event and no official meet up afterwards.
How much does it cost to attend?
Nothing! The event is free but booking helps us cater for numbers and ensures attendees receive updates.
Can I book a place for someone else?
Yes, you can if you have their consent to do so. You will need their email address though so we can contact them directly with any important updates.
Can I book by phone?
It really helps if you can book via Eventbrite but it is possible to book by phone.
What if the cost of travel is a barrier to attending?
Please get in touch. The Library Campaign may be able to help out with travel costs. UNISON members should contact their local branch about paying for their travel.
Can I bring promotional material for my campaign/library group?
Delegates are welcome to bring along flyers or brochures relating to library campaigns or friends of library groups. A table will be provided to display these.
We cannot accommodate any stands, displays, advertisements, items for sale or other material. If you are unsure, please get in touch.
Can I bring my own food and drink to consume at the venue?
No. We will be providing tea, coffee and biscuits as part of the event, at no cost to those attending, but it is a condition of booking that any food and drink not provided as part of the booking is not consumed on site.
Wesley’s Cafe, on the lower ground floor, offers a selection of food and beverages and a small cafe is situated at street level.
How do I contact Speak Up for Libraries?
Please call 020 8651 9552 or 07968 491 355, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Speak Up For Libraries is a coalition of organisations and campaigners working to protect libraries and library staff, now and in the future.
Twitter: @SpeakUp4Libs using lobby hashtag #SUFLlobby16